Saturday, March 15, 2014

Shall We Not Go on in So Great a Cause?

So I am probably one of the biggest believers in karma, and this week I definitely got the karma coming back to me! In our District meeting we had a practice, and I got to be the investigator. The other hermanas were teaching about the Libro de Mormon, and I kept asking questions and making them explain more. Well, three days later we went and visited one of our investigators, Christian. We had given him to read the Introduction in the Book of Mormon. The last time we had come we had machetead him a little bit for not reading or praying (background information:Here every person has a machete and uses it regularly, so when you scold someone or are very honest with them, you machete them :) We came and he told us very seriously that he had a lot of questions. We went through line for line of the Introduction and for almost every sentence he had a question. SO LEGIT! I was so happy afterwards I was ready to cry with joy. Here I am not sure why but people don´t ask the why questions (but it is okay, because I ask it for them and then answer it for them :) I always ask them ¨Have you ever wondered why we use the Bible and another book?¨ And they always look at me and say ¨No¨ And I say ¨But good question right? Let me explain it to you¨ And that is how it goes with a lot of the questions. So the fact that he had so many questions I was so excited! And he came to church this week, and I am convinced this 15 year old is going to be a Bishop or a Stake President one day. His Dad died when he was younger, and I know that he is working over time for us and his son for his son to accept the gospel.
This week we were walking (as always), and I looked down at my shirt and I realized I had stains all over it. So naturally I was like ¨Poochika! I have to wash my shirt again this week! I just washed it last week.¨ My companion looked at me and said ¨At least we aren´t in the States where you would actually have to change since you have stains all over your shirt...¨ And we both started laughing because who changes just because you have stains on your clothes? Also, washing our clothes is such a pain since we have to wash them all by hand, so really our level of cleanliness is quite different than it once was. But nobody worry, we are as clean as we possibly can be. We shower every day in water with tons of dirt flecks :) It is wonderful!
The mission is so great, every day is an adventure. Every night I pass out on my bed and every morning I force my eyes open, but as soon as we are out teaching it is so wonderful and beautiful. People are changing and learning the truth little by little. One thing I have learned is the importance of patience, and most importantly patience with people. In Preach My Gospel it teaches us that we need to invite people to be baptized the first or second time we meet with them (Which is very important!) But what I didn´t realize is the importance of the seed, and the seed growing a little more slowly yet steadily. When the seed grows slowly yet steadily, it is conversion, and this is what the Lord wants for his children. He wants conversion, people who are reading their scriptures every day and praying, and changing their lives and repenting. These are the people who can be the leaders and who can help others.
The other day was also so legit as we went to go and teach someone who lives out in the jungle. Literally. We were on divisions and I told the hermana leader we were going out to the jungle, and that it had just rained so it would be muddy. She didn´t really believe me, and then we got out there and we were slipping and slidding in the mud, and I was having the time of my life and she was miserable! I felt so bad. She told me that she had thought it was a joke. Luckily I had my super legit Keens to keep me safe :) (Yes Emmie, the shoes you think are super ugly!!)

Well this is truly the work of Salvation. I know my Savior lives and loves me. I know this is his work and his vineyard. I know we have a prophet today, and that the Lord speaks through him! He is truly his mouthpiece for the world, and the Lord speaks to me through President Thomas S. Monson. I know this life is just a small part of our existence, and if we endure it well, one day we will receive the greatest gift of God: eternal life with our families. I know the Lord is aware of each of us and cares about each of us so much! I know that the Lord is perfect, and so is his plan. I am so grateful for a fourteen year old boy who had a simple question for God, and who chose to ask.

This is my favorite scripture for the mission, and I have it right above where I study so I can see it every day:

¨For there are many yet on the earth ... who are only kept from the truth because they dknow not where to find it...Therefore, that we should waste and awear out our lives in bringing to light all the bhidden things of darkness¨ D and C 123¨:12 through 13.
And it is like the Prophet Joseph Smith said ¨Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause?¨
This is such a great cause! And this is truly the Lord´s work and his glory. I love you all! 




Mexi and Kendi

Allen with his mom Gladis

Allen with his mom Gladis

No comments:

Post a Comment