Monday, March 24, 2014

Honduras is famous! Our temple is on the cover of the Ensign!

Well this week has been filled with a lot of screams and stoning. So the bugs have officially started to come out. And somehow, I am always the one to find them and the one that needs to capture them. But thankfully another Hermana (Hermana Lopez) in our house is always willing to kill it after I have captured it. We have had three frogs (baby frogs, so not too bad) a cocroach, and a scorpion (it was sooooo gross! It was like five or six inches). But I am still alive. Anytime I feel like anything might be touching me I literally have a panic attack. I always think it is another scorpion. Our method of killing the cocroach and scorpion was taking them outside then finding large stones to kill them. So far it has worked. Hopefully it keeps working.. well hopefully these bugs stop finding a way into our house! Luckily this morning all we had was a butterfly. I can handle butterflies :)
We had the baptism of little Jose. Another beautifully stressful baptism. He is 13 years old and we have been teaching him for three weeks. We had his date set for this Saturday, but on Wednesday we went to go tell him we are probably going to need to move his date so that we can finish teach him everything. He literally was having a panic attack. So we told him if he wanted to get baptized this Saturday we needed to visit him twice every day. Yep. So we did it, and we had his baptism, and it was beautiful. My poor companion was dying of sickness during the whole thing, and she has been in bed for two days! Luckily I have found lots and lots of cleaning and laundry to do to keep myself busy. I have washed every pair of shoe and close to every article of clothing. It was probably a blessing in disguise because the Lord knew it was time for some spring cleaning :) I found something in my suitcase that still smelled like home and some gum from the States. Probably some of the tender mercies of the Lord. This morning I woke up and I didn't feel like dying of exhaustion, and I was so confused, and for a minute I thought "am I back in the States?" Then I realized it was because yesterday I hadn't walked miles through the dusty streets of Honduras. I think this it was the first time in six months I have felt refreshed after waking up. But I am praying for a miracle so that tonight and tomorrow we can go out and keep working, because lets be honest, a missionary in a house starts going a little crazy after a while.
Also this week I was reading in Ether about the brother of Jared. I realized that he saw close to the same thing that Moses saw. He saw the Lord, and the Lord taught him how we are made after his image (Ether 3:15) and after that he was shown all the inhabitants of the Earth (Ether 3:25). Sometimes it takes reading it in Spanish to really get the good stuff. But that made me start thinking about the experience of Moses, and how one of the first things the Lord taught Moses and the Brother of Jared is that we truly have divine nature. We are divine beings created by God after the image of his Only Begotten. When Satan came to tempt Moses the first thing he told him "Quien eres tu? Porque, he aqui, yo soy un hijo de Dios, a semejanaza de su Unigenito (Moses 1:13)." In English, who are you? Because I am a child of God, and I am in the similitude of the Only Begotten. I think sometimes in this life we forget our divine nature. We forget that we are truly children of God, and that we have divine potential. I especially love it in Spanish because there are two different forms of "I am." A permanent "soy" and an impermanent "estoy." We are permanently, and forever, children of God with divine nature. In a talk that I absolutely love by Tad R. Callister he says (to missionaries, but to anyone really) "I do not believe there is one missionary (or person for all you non-missionaries) whose weaknesses are greater than the potential strengths within him. Why? – because each of us is a son and daughter of God, with his divine nature and divine potential woven into the very fabric of our souls." I love that. Our divine potential woven into the very fabric of our souls. And sometimes we let Satan and others tell us that it isn't true, that we aren't special, and we forget our divinity and give into temptation and to sin. These last few days as I have been wearing my hands off washing clothes I was thinking about the best ways to resist temptation, and how we are divine beings, and a thought came into my head: that the best thing to do is to be like Joseph with Potipher's wife and RUN. RUN RUN RUN. Don't stay to watch, don't stay to see what happens, just RUN. Don't toy with anything, just run away as fast as you realize what it is, and do what Moses did, and call upon the name of the Savior to help you. 
But I love the Lord, because after he teaches the Brother of Jared and Moses about their divine nature, almost immediately after, he teaches them about our nothingness. He shows the brother of Jared all the inhabitants of the Earth, and Moses as well. That is probably the most humbling experience EVER. Afterwards you would feel so small and minute. So God is teaching them, and us, two things here. The first is that we are divine beings, and the second is that we are nothing. I think what he is trying to teach us is that we have divine potential and power, but without him, we are nothing. We can't do anything, but with him, we are everything. So give in. Give in to God. Give him your desires, your weaknesses, your emotions, everything. Only when we do that can we reach our divine potential, our divine power, and then we can change and be like God.
So yep. Those are my thoughts for the week. I love you all and it is possible next Monday I will have a big announcement that I am in San Pedro or something like that :) We shall see. I love Campana and my companion too much to not have cambios.
Hugs and kisses.



So that ya'll can appreciate this scorpion I had to trap!

No comments:

Post a Comment