Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Easter Happiness

Well we made it through the hottest week in Honduras!  It is already starting to get cooler.. phew :) This week has been filled with lots and lots of people going to the beach. Justin was talking about how they were walking around searching for people... yep, us too! Luckily I think we had a bit more luck than they had though. We did end up talking to a lot of people we probably would not have talked to otherwise due to the lack of people... but it always ended well, or funny, so it is all good. The weird thing about here is that when it is really hot everyone gets a cold, including me. It is so bizarre! I would have never guessed that the hot time of year is the sick time. 

This week Amilcar got baptized!  It was awesome. On Sunday he got confirmed, and afterwards we found him and I said "Por fin! Usted es un miembro y en su confirmacion el le dijo que usted va a ser un misionero!!! (Finally! You are a member and in your confirmation it said you would be a full time missionary!) and he gave us a nice big sheepish smile. It was so cute, and I am so happy for him. I know he is so happy too, and he is already planning on his little friend Carlito to get baptized too. Also on Sunday Jose, our other cute muchacho who got baptized about a month ago, was passing the sacrament and it made me so happy to see. Sometimes people make me want to cry when they are willing to change so much and give so much to the Lord, especially when they are teenage boys and there are so many other things they probably want to do. They are such amazing examples. Sometimes they are crazy monkeys :) But most of the time they are amazing examples and leaders.

Raffaela also came to church for the third time yesterday! Every time she amazes me by her faith. We also realized she cannot really understand anything we are saying, so we are going to start making Maria repeat everything we say :) Oh Gringa problems :) Our district leader has also officially agreed to make the trek up to her house for the baptismal interview (thanks to some beef jerky, it was not too hard :) We also had the opportunity to meet another of Maria s sisters and her husband from Mexico! We passed by for them before church and got to meet them, and we convinced them to come to church! Apparently it was the first time that he has ever been to church! He has seen our church before in Mexico, and we are hoping when they go home they will get baptized and join the awesome Family Huezo amazingness clan of righteousness. 

My companion and I have also been practicing our wheat tortillas!! We are still seriously lacking, but our tortillas our getting a little less mappish... one day we will be true catratchas (that is what all the Honduranians call themselves, catratchos y catratchas) and be able to make boss wheat tortillas. Prepare yourself family for the balleadas and tortillas that are going to be happening!!

For my spiritual things, this week was Easter! Sadly here it is not very exciting. Everyone just goes to party and swim. We had a higher number of drunk men chasing after us this week, but luckily, as always, we were prepared with our Word of Wisdom pamphletes. We also had our interviews with the President this week, which our, as always, AMAZING. I have the most amazing mission president. I have loved this week thinking about Christ, and that he truly lives. What joy to know that our savior lives, and that he loves us. For companionship study my companion and I read Matthew 28. It hit me so hard the last two verses, which says " 19 ¶Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
It is true! Christ is with us, and being a missionary, I love that I have the opportunity to be in this country teaching and baptizing, and that I get to have the Savior with me always. What a beautiful message of Easter, that Christ is not dead, but he lives, and he is with us. 

I love you all and hope you are having a lovely Spring! 

No comments:

Post a Comment