Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Power of Service

This week was super great :)
The rain started to pour, but we didn't get too drenched, so that was a blessing.

Yesterday was a crazy, beautiful day. We woke up to the rain pouring! And, our church starts at 8:20, and we needed to go pass by for Katie to go to church since the member who usually passes by for her was gone for vacations. So, we bundled up in our raincoats and umbrellas to fight the rain. And, victory! After our 30 minute walk to get to her house we fianlly got a ride to the church. We were only a little drenched :) And, she is SO EXCITED for her baptism! It is adorable. 
Well, we went to the sacrament meeting (which is our last hour) and it was fast and testimony meeting. I have to say, I have never felt more loved in my life after a sacrament meeting. It started with Alejandro, who had left with us the night before, and went up and bore his testimony,and said how grateful he was for us missionaries who work so hard to share the gospel, and that he can't wait until he gets to serve his mission. I was feeling pretty loved and special. Then, another youth got up and bore his testimony. We visit his mom because sometimes it is a bit of a struggle for her to go to church. One day we had visitied her, and quickly we had shared one of my favorite scriptures in Matthew 11 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and Iwill give you rest.
 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for am meek andlowly in heartand ye shalfind rest unto your souls. 3For my yoke is easyand my burden is light.
When we had shared this scripture, we were just with his mom. But, apparently he was in the other room listening. He said that he was in the middle of examins, and he was studying for math and science, two of his hardest subjects. He realized that he needed Christs' help to study and do well. He prayed and he was able to do well on his tests. 
Then, the last person to bear their testimony, was our cute Katie! She bore her testimony and said how grateful she was for us for coming and sharing the gospel with her so that she could know the true church. Then, she invited everyone to her baptism. It was adorable :) It filled my heart with happiness.
After church we were visiting people, and we passed by someone we had contacted before, and helped her clean. Well, then we were cleaning for two hours. But it felt great! I love doing service. And actually, it was super crazy, because Hermana Moron and I had contacted her daughter like a month ago, and had never gone back since she didn't seem too interested. Well, we were contacting again with Hermana Roca, and we contacted them again, however they had moved. And when we contact, we don't contact every house. It more happens, like we are walking, and I am like "let's contact that house" or she is like "let's contact that person." Ad then we do. Well, I felt like if we had contacted them twice randomly, it probably wasn't quite so random. Yesterday she asked, "so, when you aren't helping random people clean, what do you do?" It was nice to hear that we were able to give an example before anything else :) 
We also had another great experience with service. We are teaching a girl, and her family moved to another colonial (neighborhood). We also helped them clean and move. Before, her sister and mom had never listened to us. Last night, the mom and sister were waiting for us to come. It was crazy! Oh the power of service! I think when we take the time to help people, it makes them realize that we are sincere, and truly want to help them. 

I am also learning a bunch from my hija. She reminds me all the time about stuff and I am like "oh yeah..." so it is good :) I am also almost 100% catratcha. I am starting to be really cold too haha. I know when I go back to Utah, I will DIE. I think I was made for tropical weather. 
We also had a bunch of great times knocking doors! I have to say, this is my first area where I have knocked doors. This weekend was worse since it was a four day holiday, so a bunch of people left! But we got to meet a bunch new people, and get rejected by a bunch more. I have to say though, it doesn't bother me anymore when people reject us. I feel like it is just so, normal? I think when we work hard, and do our all, God blesses us with a really great reference or someone who really needs our help.

For the spiritual thought of the week, I want to share part of the general conference talk of Elder Holland called "are we not all beggars?" about the fast, since yesterday was Fast Sunday, and Fast Sundays rock since we get to fast and call down the blessings of heaven. "I bear witness of the miracles, both spiritual and temporal, that come to those who live the law of the fast. I bear witness of the miracles that have come to me. Truly, as Isaiah recorded, I have cried out in the fast more than once, and truly God has responded, “Here I am.”17 Cherish that sacred privilege at least monthly, and be as generous as circumstances permit in your fast offering and other humanitarian, educational, and missionary contributions. I promise that God will be generous to you..."

I LOVE YOU ALL!!! :) HAVE A GREAT WEEK :)

No comments:

Post a Comment